My Kid is Pretty Great

And I'll tell you why, but I won't make a super long sappy deal about it. It's funny too - I promise. So continue reading, my kidless friends who are sick of hearing child-rearing friends talk about their kids.

Last night was one of "those" nights. And I don't mean in the evening when we were hanging out around the house playing trains, eating jelly bread and drinking bubbas. I mean during the sleeping hours...big trouble during sleepies time.

There was a pretty big thunderstorm in the Chi-town area last night and it kept waking T up. Usually he's a good little sleeper and lets out a holler or two before rolling over and dozing back off when something wakes him, but not last night. He must be in the middle of a growth spurt or something because every time he was awakened by thunder he cried, screamed and yelled the names of different foods until I went in and got him.

It seriously sounded like Will Farrell yelling for his mom to get the meatloaf in Wedding Crashers. But without the F-word.


Side Note: Yes, I purposely used the clip without the F-word at the end so I wouldn't get hate mail from my Grandma.

The "meatloaf yells", unfortunately, were a constant occurrence last night between the hours of 1:30 and 5:00 a.m., which is quite unheard of for my child who has slept through the night with regularity since he was 4 months old.

So you can imagine my sleepless state of being at around 4:30 a.m. when a deafening clap of thunder shook the walls and a minute later I heard the piercing sound of my baby crying. 

This was followed closely by my own tears. Not even kidding. I started to cry. Because I just wanted to F-wording sleeeeep, and I had already gotten up and tended to the child THREE TIMES. So I waited. Listening to him holler "Momma!"......"Momma!" hope-hope-hoping he would quiet down and get back to sleep on his own.

But then his phrasing changed slightly.

"Momma!"....

"Mommaaaaa!"....

"Momma OR Dadda!"

"Momma ORRRRR Daddaaaa!"

This perked my ears and brought a smile to my face. And then it got even better when he started yelling...

"Guys!" 

"Come here guys!"..."Come here guys!"

"Guys!"....."Where are you!"

"Come on guys!"

And that made me laugh. Laugh out loud, in fact. And my kid is pretty great because somehow in the midst of a sleepless night, as I was about to lose it, he managed to put the smile back on my face. In the middle of the night. The middle of a sleepless night.

Gold star for T.

1 comment:

  1. Now I'M crying....! what a kid! and what a great mom for finding the love in the middle of a sleeples night!

    ReplyDelete

Spread the Wealth